At Packlane, we help customers create impactful custom packaging – and we need you to create the powerful systems and integrations that make it all possible. In fact, we’d be OK with you wearing a brightly colored superhero cape at your desk because you have visionary powers to see the future, lasers in your fingertips to weld together innovative solutions, and X-ray vision for detecting and eradicating bugs and inefficiencies.
As the ideal candidate, you understand that inventive and stable software is essential to the continued prosperity of our business — and also result in web experiences more forceful than a locomotive.
Consider Packlane a unique challenge - you’ll be in charge of code that allows people with a range of design knowledge (from novice to expert craftsman) to create a product that truly helps them tell their business’s brand story. It’s a big job, but the engineer we’re looking for will be excited to work on a career-defining startup that’s pioneering new approaches to designing and manufacturing packaging. Join our team as a software engineer and put your super-skills to work for the forces of good.
What You'll Do:
- Ideate. Create. Innovate. Help our small (but ultra-productive!) team build new and wonderful products.
- Craft the core of the web applications that power our business and pitch in on front-end development.
- Build reliable systems in Elixir, Phoenix, and the BEAM ecosystem and integrate them with world-class applications.
- Collaborate with stakeholders, department heads, and consultants to provide the best business solutions possible.
- Help chart our course to dramatically scale our business, while maintaining architectural simplicity, pervasive observability, readable code, and a happy and engaged development team.
- Bend steel with your bare hands (optional).
What You'll Love About Packlane:
- Use the technologies you love - Packlane is an opportunity to cut your teeth on an exciting technology stack, including innovative development frameworks and cutting-edge functional languages.
- We’re a small team - You’ll be one of few, which means you’ll have a real chance to make an impact. Expect (and hopefully enjoy!) a lot of control and influence over product decisions and prioritization, with significant engagement and input into business decision-making.
- You’ll help build our future - We’ve got a lot of ambitious projects in the works, from re-building manufacturing infrastructure from the ground up, to implementing robust order management systems that orchestrate an intricate production flow, and you’ll be at the forefront of it all. We value creative thinking, bold decisions, and the courage to take ownership over solutions.
- You'll be challenged to grow - If you are curious and willing to continue to learn and level-up, you'll be right at home on our tea. We value diverse and growing skillsets as well as deep knowledge in specific areas of software development and engineering. We encourage exploration and growth, sharing your knowledge, and evolving our stack and implementation.
- Flexibility - We’re a fully remote company, from Engineering through Customer Service. We’re proud of our remoteness and make sure to stay connected and interactive through Slack, Zoom, and other channels. We operate across all the North American time zones from GMT-3 to GMT-7. We value work-life balance and work to find innovative solutions to meet peoples' needs.
- 3+ years of experience in Elixir, Phoenix, and Ecto to build domain logic, web APIs, internal tools, or similar big projects in production. You have a couple of languages under your belt and aren't afraid of picking up new ones.
- Real-world experience in designing and evolving SQL schemas and writing code that manages relational data. You're confident working through the tradeoffs of different transaction isolation levels, choosing indexing strategies for tables, and deciding when and how to use data caching in memory, as a few examples.
- A great understanding of backend web technologies, from principles of networking and HTTP protocols up to running applications behind load balancers and proxies. You're a whiz at speeding applications up using caching and CDNs, and don't break a sweat while debugging production issues with the help of logs and tracing.
- Experience setting up and managing cloud resources in AWS or GCP.
- You understand the value but also the cost of writing tests. We value high test coverage and, at the same time, we try to avoid being slowed down by tests that are too implementation-dependent when refactoring existing code.
- An easy-to-work-with attitude, well-organized, and highly self-motivated.
- Reliable. Accountable. Dependable. And all the other good -ables. You know what they are.
- Great communication and collaboration skills.
- Strong work ethic and a healthy obsession with learning new things.
- Don’t see your strengths listed? Tell us about them! We want eager and gritty applicants :) not narrowly pigeon-holed engineers.
- Pragmatic approaches to complex problems. Know when a hack is the right solution.
- Expert at debugging and willing to jump into the fray.
- Previous experience on remote teams.
- Employee or contract depending on location.
- US applicants and International contractors who can overlap with North America time zones (minimum 2 hours overlap with PST) welcome to apply.