At Packlane, we help customers create impactful custom packaging – and we need you to create the powerful code that makes it all possible. In fact, we’d be OK with you wearing a brightly colored cape at your desk because you have X-ray vision for detecting bugs and a utility belt full of tools to eradicate them. As the ideal candidate, you understand that inventive and stable software is essential to the continued prosperity of our business — and also result in web experiences more forceful than a locomotive.
Consider Packlane a unique challenge - you’ll be in charge of code that allows people with a range of design knowledge (from novice to expert craftsman) to create a product that truly helps them tell their business’s brand story. It’s a big job, but the engineer we’re looking for will be excited to work on a career-defining startup that’s pioneering a new approach to designing and manufacturing packaging. Join our team as a mid level front end engineer and put your super-skills to work for good.
What You'll Do:
- Ideate. Create. Innovate. Help our small (but ultra-productive!) team build new and wonderful products.
- Build internal and customer facing interfaces with SASS, ES6, React.js, Webpack.
- Hone your debugging skills and contribute suggestions to the overall team.
- Utilize unit testing and continuous integration to keep the bugs out.
- Collaborate with stakeholders, department heads and consultants to provide the best user experience possible.
- Work in cross functional teams
- Pair program with teammates to hone your skills and grow.
- Bend steel with your bare hands (optional).
What You'll Love About Packlane:
- A chance to try new technologies - Packlane is an opportunity to cut your teeth on a novel technology stack, including innovative development frameworks and cutting-edge functional languages.
- Support Modern Browsers - We’re living in the future and build for modern versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari and IE. No IE8 here.
- We’re a small team - You’ll be one of few, which means you’ll have a real chance to make an impact. Expect (and hopefully enjoy!) a lot of control and influence over product decisions and prioritization.
- You’ll help build our future - We’ve got a lot of ambitious projects in the works, from building manufacturing infrastructure from the ground up, to implementing robust order management systems that orchestrate an intricate production flow, and you’ll be at the frontend of it all.
- Flexibility - We’re a fully remote company, from Engineering through Customer Service. We’re proud of our remoteness and make sure to stay connected and interactive through Slack and Zoom. We operate across all the North American time zones from GMT-3 to GMT-7. For established team members with a track record of successful projects we offer a 4x10 schedule for greater work life balance.
- An easy-to-work-with attitude, well-organized and highly self-motivated.
- Reliable. Accountable. Dependable. And all the other good -ables. You know what they are.
- Great communication and collaboration skills.
- Design minimal and functional interfaces with a mind towards the business value.
- Strong work ethic and a healthy obsession with learning new things.
- Familiarity with Git, Yarn, and Chrome DevTools.
- Interest or experience in technical leadership on the front end.
- Experience in the nuances of SASS and clean minimal design with reusable components.
- Capability and interest in championing best practices in React.js.
- Proficiency with Webpack, WebGL, Canvas, and HTML5.
- Proficiency in wireframes, mock ups, Sketch.
- Functional programming advocates: who value immutability and functional purity.
- Previous experience on remote teams.
- Employee or contract depending on location.
- US applicants and International contractors who can overlap with North America time zones (minimum 3 hours overlap with PST) welcome to apply.
Note: We will be hiring throughout 2018 and 2019 and do not currently have an open seat. This job listing is an open listing and we’re always open to hiring the right candidate and making space on the team. We check our applicant pool every few weeks and reply to candidates we see as a good match to our technical needs and team balance.