As a Packaging Engineer at Packlane, you’ll be the go-to person for all things packaging. The right candidate is knowledgeable about materials, weights, costs, packaging technologies and printing methods, and is able to use that knowledge to design the best, most cost-effective packaging solutions for our customers. Everyone at Packlane understands packaging, but you are the true expert who is always up-to-date on the latest innovations, trends, and technologies that go into creating the perfect package.
As the person in charge of managing packaging projects, you’ll need to be highly organized and easily able to coordinate with various vendors and members of our often-remote team. You’ll also play a big role in our R&D efforts, helping chart the course of Packlane’s future product line. The right person will be highly motivated, able to work with little guidance, and excited about the opportunity to create real change within the company.
The Packaging Structural Designer at Packlane creates production drawings and prototypes for the manufacture of digital, lithographic, and flexographic packaging. The Designer prepares production drawings based on various specifications from our team, customers, and vendors. Packlane is a mostly remote team, so this role requires someone who can visualize, design, and render in both 2 and 3 dimensions - often without ability to physically construct a mockup. Engineering and troubleshooting of dielines must be done through the use of electronic dielines and mock-ups.
This role will be primarily based in our new in-house prototyping lab located in Louisville, KY. A strong understanding of computer-aided design (CAD) software with an emphasis on ArtiosCAD and DVS Pro is required. Knowledge of the print production environment in a packaging context is beneficial. The ideal candidate will have strong mechanical reasoning skills, be able to work on teams, be self-motivated to perform in a fast-paced environment, and take initiative to learn new skills. S/he must have strong communication skills in the English language and be able to simplify technical explanations so that our teams and customers can understand them.
Duties (including but not limited to the following):
- Create parametric packaging standards, custom dielines, and 3Ds (based on specifications, sketches, and personal experience) using Artios CAD or equivalent, for paperboard, corrugate, and other products. Manage drawings in an orderly manner within our database systems.
- Create parallel designs in differing CAD systems for production/website use.
- Monitor multiple touchpoints for varied work requests; reprioritize or delegate in a rapidly-changing workload to stay on-schedule.
- Communicate clearly within our remote team environment at all stages of a project, sharing knowledge across the organization and proactively communicating developments.
- Assess externally-created dielines; advise on concerns and make modifications as needed.
- Produce packaging prototypes in our prototype lab for customer review and approval.
- Troubleshoot and answer internal and customer questions related to structural design, set up, structural integrity, etc.
- Actively develop and improve standards, workflows, and procedures; create documentation.
- Work closely with other departments, including Customer Support, Sales, Prepress Production, and Product to ensure a satisfactory product is delivered to the customer.
- Answer internal and customer questions related to structural design, set up, structural integrity, etc.
- Test and inspect all dielines before release to assure that a design meets structural integrity and manufacturability requirements.
- 4 or more years’ experience in packaging design, preferably within a manufacturing environment or corrugated packaging, OR 2 years’ experience, plus a two-year technical degree in related field.
- Expert in ArtiosCAD (or similar CAD system).
- Mastery of geometry and formulating mathematical formulas.
- Must have a service-oriented mindset.
- Excellent written communication skills - ability to assertively explain projects and limitations, and to convey abstract ideas/concepts verbally or with quick sketches.
- Experience using Esko Automation Engine, Adobe Creative Suite, DVS Pro is a plus.
- Physically able to lift 25 lbs.
- High attention to detail, excellent craftsmanship, and a dedication to achievement.
- Familiar with packaging standards such as ECMA, FEFCO; proficient in custom parametric design.
- Experience with corrugated and/or paperboard packaging machinery and production processes – rotary and flat cutting dies, print plate types, manufacturing processes, Zund and Kongsberg tables, and related tools. Able to determine structures and resistances of packaging and materials.
- Innovative: learns quickly, is open to change, strives for continuous improvement. Problem-solves in a deadline-based environment with minimal support. Leverages the technologies available to work smarter and help others do the same.
- Acts as an owner of the work s/he performs, and instills that same attitude and level of action in others. Proactively takes responsibility for outcomes/results, never “passing the buck”.
This position is for an onsite facility in Louisville, Kentucky. We are happy to consider a relocation package for the right candidate.